Sunday 5 August 2018

Growth Coaching: Pre-Observation, Observation and Post Observation Conversation.

Session time: 3:00 - 5:00 on Wednesday  1st August. 

Our challenge at the moment is integrating Growth Coaching with Teaching as Inquiry. In this post I will particularly be looking at how we can use teacher observations (in the context of Growth Coaching) as a tool to support teachers in moving forward with their inquiry. Something that is a particular challenge for me is perfecting the art of designing an observation that will best meet the needs of the teacher to help them move forward in their individual inquiry. There! I said it!

The following is my current understanding: 


Pre-Observation Conversation: 
Purpose: To get the focus of the observation, to determine the time of the observation and establish the role of the observer and teacher in the observation.

Observation: 
Gather data: By scripting, counting, tracking.

Post Observation Conversation:
This should lead into a growth coaching conversation at its conclusion. Remember to have a coach/coachee talking ratio at 20:80. This last one of these I did was 40:60. I'm getting better but I'm still not good enough. The coach must not 'feedback' but rather invite the coachee to reflect, examine the data and develop next steps. 

Please refer to image: 





No comments:

Post a Comment